1. So, one of my least favorite players signed with one of my least favorite teams; the only thing worse would have been Barry Bonds signing with Boston. But I sure hope Roger Clemens starts acting his age soon, because I'd love to watch him melt down with the Yank-Me's this year. That being said, I'd probably do exactly the same thing Clemens is doing if I could - work a short season, play where my friends are playing, hold out for the most money, spend more time with the family, increase my longetivity by not subjecting myself to the 162-game grind. That doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him to crash and burn, just like I have ever since he bitched his way off the Toronto Blue Jays a bunch of years ago.
2. Another victory tonight, and now we're 10-3. I wish I was having more fun.
3. Miniature situation: On Thursday, I asked a girl to leave class because she had an attitude. Out in the hallway, she called me "stupid." She was absent Friday. Today, I immediately sent her to the office, because I'm not letting her back in the classroom until the issue is resolved (her mother's three numbers are all invalid). Today, when I did that, she called me "pathetic." Stupid and pathetic, that's me! Something better be done to this massively rude girl. If not, I'm not going to let her back in my classroom.
4. I'm enjoying getting back into In Cold Blood with my students. Last night, I decided to preview the film "Infamous" here at home to see if it was worth showing to the class after we finished it. Verdict? Nah. It's just not that great, although I did get a kick out of Sandra Bullock playing Harper Lee. Capote it will be, although there are no TV/VCRs in the English department ever since someone accidentally moved the cart away from the wall with the plug still in the outlet. The cord ripped in half and now we're without. I may have to end up opening up my pockets a little bit to make sure I can show a film. The kids will really like Capote.
5. The High School Assessment for English is two weeks from today. This is the highest stakes test I'll ever have prepared students for. I hope I did alright by them. I sure have been working hard.
AL Notes: Yankees, A's, Royals, White Sox, Mariners - With the Dodgers and manager Don Mattingly at Yankee Stadium today, Yankees GM Brian Cashman discussed the process that resulted in Yanks' manager Joe Girard...
2 hours ago