1. Watched A Dirty Shame tonight, and can't believe how much I liked it. The reviews were decidedly mixed, and I wasn't that excited to see it. But I figured I should, especially since I live right off of Harford Road, where much of the film is set. And, wow, it had some hilarious lines and great scenes. I think John Waters is sometimes more silly than funny, and there were touches of that, but all was forgiven during that Hokey Pokey scene. Wow. Tracey Ullman was awesome.
2. I don't have any energy tonight at all. I had hoped for a triumphant return to the gym this week in the mornings, but haven't made it yet in the morning, and my afternoon workouts have been non-existent or poor. I still can't get into the YMCA. I go there and can't spend more than 20 minutes there. I usually can jump into a new gym - when I'm vacation or something - with no problem, but there's something about that one that is holding me back. I usually drive all the way up to the Towson Bally's just to go up there, but I've been really bored there lately, too. I need to zap my routine.
3. What happened to there being good things to watch on Thursday nights? I flipped on the TV somewhere in the 8 o'clock hour, and the networks were showing all game shows or reality TV. There are a bunch of shows on television right now that it seems like I'd really be into if I could devote the time to watch them - Lost, Heroes, Prison Break, the medical show everyone talks about - but every time I try to give the networks a shot, they let me down. Thank goodness for Netflix, which still exceeds my expectations. Sent in three movies I watched this weekend on Monday, received three crisp new ones tonight - Pecker (I'd seen this years ago but not since I moved to Baltimore), A Dirty Shame (discussed above), and Donnie Darko.
4. I had the confrontation with the plagiarism girl today. Called home first. The mother was astounded and disappointed. This was good, because sometimes we get students or parents who have this, "Oh, he just must be uptight about that," when the sort of plagiarism that this girl engaged in could probably have her expelled from a university. The girl acted like it wasn't a big deal when I took her to the office and wrote her up. I told her how disappointed I was in her and how it would take a lot to regain my trust. She shrugged her shoulders and looked the other way.
5. The Lighting of the Monument is tomorrow night. I'm just not that into it this year. It'd been my thing every year, and I'm just not feeling it. Too tired. Too crowded. Too busy. Too stressed. Too close to the weekend. Too many excuses, I know.
6. I have a first date Friday night with a woman I met from Match.com. If I was in a better mood, I'd be more excited. I guess I've got to get into a good mood about it. I'm just working way too hard right now and not taking care of myself. She seems cool, though. Her first name reminds me of a Margaret Cho skit where her nurse tells her, "Hello, my name is ______ and I'm here to wash your vagina." I'm lucky enough to work with someone who caught that reference. I'd YouTube it, but it's towards the middle of a 7-minute clip and just not worth it. Anyone who likes to laugh a lot should just rent The Notorious C.H.O..
Dürer’s Demons - The great German artist Albrecht Dürer inured himself to the melancholy of his time by embracing religion: Like so many of his contemporaries, Dürer was ha...
22 minutes ago