You know those awesome NPR "This, I Believe" essays they do every Monday? Hearing them is one of my week's highlights. Someday I'd like to write one. Unfortunately, listening to this morning's was the high point today. I'm in a foul mood that won't go away without a break of some sort: a long run, a roll in the sack, a massage, a great workout, or a cruise down the coast. With none of those things happening tonight, I'm left with just a whiny blog post. (I'm sorry. October is always one of the worst months of the school year, and my foul mood is here, right on cue.)
1. I cannot believe I have to work waiting tables tomorrow night during the first Playoff game my team has been involved with in 19 years. It makes me want to cry. I don't even know if it's on the radio. I know I've complained about the second job a little bit in my time here on the blog. However, I basically like it - I like waiting tables, and have made some lifelong friendships through the restaurant. But I'm just done.
2. I cannot believe how many papers I have to grade, and how far behind I am in school, with the complete lack of ability to stay at school until 8pm like I need to do to catch up.
3. I cannot believe how bad my Master's course is. I hate seeing a teacher struggle - I feel for her, I really do - but the classwork she gives us is so lower-level that I'd hesitate to give it to my 10th graders, and then she expects us to have fruitful discussions? I'm also worried about getting my B in it so I can get reimbursed 75%.
4. I cannot afford to keep sending Bobby money. He has a job now, but pay doesn't come for a month, and his books have now cost over $600 for this semester with the supplementary materials his professors are assigning him to buy. I'm broke myself, and sending him $60 here and $50 there is just getting more and more difficult when I'm still recouping from the summer bills.
5. I cannot believe that my gym trips have stopped completely, that I hold a membership to two athletic clubs but haven't been in a week. I feel and look unhealthy.
6. I cannot believe that my shoulder is still killing me, several months after it started getting sore. I hate going to doctors but it looks like I'll have to. I can barely do Military Presses at the gym.
7. I cannot believe I drank two energy drinks in preparation for a gym trip that I was too depressed to embark on, and now I'm all wired and will have a hard time sleeping.
By the way, I'm 90% sure I'm going to put in my notice tomorrow at the restaurant. I can be talked into staying - they'd have to guarantee me just Sundays for the rest of the semester - but I'm not sure if they'd want to.
Little Split Screen Action - In the view of Indiewire‘s Boyd Van Hoeij (how do you pronounce that?), James Franco‘s As I Lay Dying is “just passable,” which raises the question of whet...
1 hour ago