1. I'm going to the Orioles game tonight. I haven't been to many games this year, and I'm trying to figure out why. The Orioles have stunk since I got here, so it's not because I'm tired of them not being very good. I've never been known to let losing affect whether I root for a team or not. I think it's because the Tigers are doing so well this year, and every time I go to an Orioles game it means missing the Tigers game. Tonight, my eyes will be pointed mostly to the scoreboard to see if the Tigers can escape their funk.
2. Voting went fine for me. After seeing how the Senatorial candidates were laid out, I'm more convinced than ever that Cardin will win; his name appears first on the ballot. Of course, it's because it's done alphabetically, but his name definitely gravitated to the front of that particular screen. I really, really hope that Mfume wins, though. Cardin is just more of the same old, same old. Maybe Mfume's get-out-the-vote effort will be stronger than anyone anticipated and he'll be victorious.
3. It took me forever to discover it even though it's just around the corner, but The Red Canoe is becoming one of my favorite places. So friendly, with great coffee, and I've had the spinach-and-cheddar muffin for breakfast three times in the last two weeks.
4. I put $570 worth of theater tickets on my credit card this afternoon for my planned field trip in November. If something happens, I'm screwed, but I was worried that it would be sold out if I didn't do something. Since I chose Death and the Maiden primarily because it's being performed in Baltimore this year, I felt I needed to make sure nothing happened with the field trip.
5. I'm now a new member of the Harry J. Weinberg YMCA at Stadium Place. I joined over the weekend, when they had the free joining fee, and went for the first time today for a real workout. It didn't work out. I've forgoteen just how out of sorts it is to first join a gym. I twaddled around for fifteen minutes, looked for someone to help me with their electronic Fitness system, found no one after several minutes of looking, and then left to work out at Bally's. I've not given up, and will go back tomorrow morning. I'm now a member of both Bally's (which is now around $15/month for me now that I've been a member for three years) and the YMCA (which is $39.99/month, but with no contract), meaning I'm spending $55 on gyms. I'll drop one of them if it's clear I'm not using one of them. Since I'm taking classes at Towson and go to Trader Joe's so often, it makes sense to hang onto Bally's, but it makes sense to join the Y since it's so close to work and home. Even at that combined price, it's still cheaper than if I were to join a fancy-smancy place like the Merritt downtown.
Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel - The Astros will hold one of four regional draft workouts on Sunday, MLB.com's Brian McTaggart reports. Sunday's workout will be near Los Angeles. Others will...
19 minutes ago