1. Today, I went to the gym twice but did not work out. The first time, I decided I'd rather go home and read the books I had just bought for school. The second time, I decided instead to go to Thai One On up in Towson and eat a mountain of spicy pad thai. I have probably consumed 5,000 calories today, but tomorrow is Monday and I should be able to get back on track. I've got to get into shape for school or I will be miserable being on my feet so long.
2. Eating alone is kind of cool to do on occasion. I never did it before I waited tables but, waiting tables, I see it occurring quite often. Single diners are almost always pleasant people and good tippers. I was that today, as well.
3. I have gotten almost all the things I need for my classroom except for (a) magnetic poetry [I used to see this stuff all the time, but I don't remember where, and now I can't find it]; (b) a mini fridge [Target was just too damn busy today]; and (c) the grandfather's basement type of chair or a beanbag [still holding out for the former via Craig's List, but probably going with the latter since I know I can buy one at Target for $29.99]
4. I'm getting really excited to see all the kids again and all my colleagues again but, at the same time, have a pit-in-the-stomach dread about the opening of school. Will I be ready? Will things go okay? Why the hell am I so nervous?
5. The free-choice section of my curriculum (the rest of it outlined below) is as follows: Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Macbeth, Frankenstein, and Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes.
Wednesday Drill - This morning’s 8:30 am screening is Nicholas Winding Refn‘s Only God Forgives, which at least seems to promise a world-class Kristin Scott Thomas performan...
2 hours ago