1. I biked 25 miles today, up and down the Gunpowder Trail. I still can't believe we went that long - all the way up to Woodberry Crossing Camp and back. I really had no idea something so beautiful, and so similar to my hometown's Kal-Haven Trail, existed here in the Baltimore area. I'm sure my rear end will be sore tomorrow for my trip up to Towson.
2. I'm loving my "Current Issues in Education" class. Today we had a lively three-hour discussion about No Child Left Behind. I was too busy being a first-year teacher to pay that much attention to it when it was being enacted into law, but have certainly been affected (mostly adversely, at least from the kids' perspective) by it. Now I feel armed with knowledge about it as it goes up for renewal next year.
3. Last night, I didn't think Bobby was home. I realized I hadn't seen him the night before after the house concert, nor that morning (in both cases, he could have just left out before I came in). Anyhow, my wheels got turning, and I got worrying - there's no way for me to reach him, as he doesn't have a cell phone - and realized it was 1am, and I lay in bed for a while worrying. I then went outside, like a crazy person, and just stared at the street without my contacts, a completely useless endeavor since I can't see at all. Disheartened, I walked inside, muttered to myself, and I heard him say my name; he was calling from his bedroom, and had seen me outside looking like a crazy person. See, he was home the whole time; I just hadn't heard him come in. I realized that I was really worried about him, and I told him so, and he apologized, and said he thought I was asleep when he came in so he came quietly. This is a very strange thing in my house that I've got going on with him. I'm obviously not his parent or guardian, but I'm also not a roommate; I'm a caregiver of sorts, even though he's legally on his own. And I can't complain. He hasn't missed curfew yet, even. He does chores. He comes in the house at night and we talk about his day, about the construction work he is doing, about his upcoming move to the University of Maryland campus. I just wish I could do more, but don't want to get up all in his business and press too much. He seems happy, and excited about college. I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm taking him to his orientation in three weeks. I guess that's something.
4. We had a softball game tonight at 10pm. I was grouchy tonight and would have rather been in bed, but the game was pretty fun overall - though it ended badly. We lost 6-3, but one of our players blew up for no apparent reason, and a little bit of sniping later, and both sort of bummed me out. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive right now. I definitely need some rest after my insomnia last night.
5. Don't look now, but the Tigers aren't letting up. They're 48-24. 48-24! Best team in baseball!
The Best Of The Dish Today - In one of those strange confluences that sometimes occur on the Dish, suicide came up twice today – both Vice magazine’s disgusting attempt to get page-vie...
1 hour ago