1. Tonight was orientation for incoming 8th graders, and I spoke at the event about summer reading. I kicked myself afterward about seeming like too much of a hard ass, without adding much positive ("And, you know what else, kids? These are really good books!" rather than "If you do not do your summer reading, you will fail first quarter" was not quite my exact quote, but my intimation).
2. Orientation somehow makes me excited about next year, despite hella problems at my school right now. If I can say that I love my school with everything that is occurring right now having to do with things that I would love to write about here but cannot, then I must really love my school.
3. Today was day one of what will probably be two days of senior pranks. Besides a lot of eggs and water balloons being thrown, someone brought in a crate of live crabs and released them in the halls. At the end of the day, a girl gathered up the still-alive crabs to take them home and steam them. Very resourceful.
4. My living situation remains the same. It is going fine. The guardian has given him permission to stay wherever he is at, but assumes he's at a girlfriend's house. She really doesn't seem like she cares much. He's off doing laundry now. I asked him if he knew how, and he told me he's been doing his own laundry as long as he remembered. He's never had to laundromat it, though. I gave him ten bucks to do it. I also need to get a solid meal in him sometime this weekend.
5. I am so, so tired, all the time. I really need to slow down.
6. Postsecret, which I think most people know is one of the greatest sites on the internet, is especially affecting this week. Wow. I'm still out of breath after reading the secrets this week. And think I'm going to call my mom.
The “Loneliness Epidemic” - Douthat, noting [NYT] that violent crimes are on the decline while suicides are up, blames increased isolation: As the University of Virginia sociologist B...
7 minutes ago