1. When we got to the ballfield today, there was a lake around second base and another around home plate. I just said, "screw it," and we practiced around the massive rain puddles. Just a quick 90-minute practice that I came close to cancelling because of the field conditions, but I'm glad we didn't because it was fun.
2. Today was an exceptional day in the classroom. Even my 5/6 period class, the one with all the kids on IEPs, was really on task. We're at the point now with Romeo and Juliet has gotten hella exciting and even the whiners who say, "I don't understand one word they're saying!" gasp and tsk, tsk when the scenes get dramatic. Today was Act 3, Scene 5, the scene in which Juliet's father threatens to put her out on the streets if she refuses to marry Paris. "Hang, Beg, Die in the streets!," he screams at her (and I had a good actor playing him in all three classes) and the kids got so into it.
3. I'm reading a book right now called I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. The book description is as follows: "My name is Tucker Max, and I am an asshole. I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead. But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way: I share my adventures with the world," and it's written by this guy, who is apparently an internet celebrity of sorts. The book is pretty funny, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, as it reminds me of the Howard Stern show, which I miss.
4. I used to track my maturity and aging by how I responded to The Catcher in the Rye. Not so anymore. I now track it by how happy pooping makes me.
5. Sunday was Shakespeare's 442nd birthday. Tomorrow is my mom's 52nd birthday. Friday is Harper Lee's 80th birthday.
6. My alarm clock went off today at 4:48am, and I vaguely remember thinking that there was no way in hell I was getting up to go the gym, that it would be one of the most ridiculous activities I'd ever engaged in if I did. I went right back to sleep for exactly two more hours and did not make it to the gym in the morning as I had promised myself. I went this afternoon, but I hope I don't get lazy again tomorrow morning. I know now what I'm going to think when it goes off, though, so maybe I'll be able to combat it. I'll do my damdest.
7. I smelled a whiff of turmoil at Trader Joe's today from one of the cashiers. A customer behind me asked about the lack of free samples at the checkout lanes, and the cashier mentioned the new manager. He was diplomatic, but all three of us talked aobut how great the old one was, and how this new change was certainly not an improvement in any way. I feel like a revolt against the lack of free samples is in order.
8. I commented to one of the workers there how happy I was that the lime popsicles had returned, and mentioned that the last five times I'd been at Trader Joe's, they were all gone. She told me that it's because they know my car and have been trained to hide all the lime popsicles when I come in, but that someone had been on his break and had missed the cue today so there the lime popsicles are. I stood there dumbfounded for a minute, and laughed. She did too. Maybe I'm going to Trader Joe's too much. I'm certainly not doing a very good job of protesting the lack of free samples in the checkout lines, that's for sure.
9. I only have five reservations for my house concert on Saturday. I'm trying not to be worried about it.
10. I watched another couple episodes of Entourage tonight. I really enjoy that show.
Potbelly Pigs - Of a different variety: Seattle-based [William] von Schneidau has been feeding marijuana scraps — leaves, stems, and root bulbs — to a stable of pigs. He’s...
8 minutes ago