Thoughts running through my head at the Annual Father Lecture About Money:
1. My gosh, I didn't even ask him for a loan. Why am I getting this again?
2. Ah... it's complaining to mom that I'm broke after my car wreck.
3. What? He's criticizing me for visiting grandma and grandpa over spring break?
4. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.
5. In the two years since the big loan, I have never missed a monthly payment. However, I have only gotten the payment to him on time 9 times in 24. Now, for nearly every one of those times, it's been post-marked by the 15th, but has not been received on time. This is apparently a big deal. "Because a person's word means something."
6. I wish he had given me financial lectures when I was 18, before I got any credit cards. Now I'm 28, and learning financial responsibility when I'm 28 from my dad when I've learned it on my own the hard way just sort of sucks. He's trying to make up for lost time.
7. During the school year, I take home $2200 a month, and pay $1741 a month in bills that I can't get out of (BGE, rent, car, car insurance, student loan, phone, renter's insurance, water), the only luxury bill being the $18/month for DSL. With the $459 I have left every month, I saved $200 for the summer, $50 for savings, and $159 for spending money. I think I've been pretty good about this now for two years. I use the restaurant money making tips as extra payments on the car or the student loans.
8. When I bring that up, he says that he doesn't care. I need to get the monthly money to him on time. The 15th every month.
9. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. He'd be a lot happier if he didn't get bent out of shape for the little things like that.
10. He doens't like it when I tell him that.
11. I then tell him that being financially responsible in 2005 isn't about putting a check in the mail and making sure the mail service gets there on time. It's about being able to move funds directly from your account to the bills online. If he'd just make it so I could do that, I'd be fine getting the payments on time.
12. Is that a tear? Stop it, you pussy. Something about lectures from dad always make me teary. Can't let it happen.
13. I can't believe he's doing this. I've never missed a payment. He wants me to be able to own something someday. At least we're on the same page there.
14. This sucks. Can I go now?
15. No, dad, I don't feel like hanging out with your friends right now. See you later.
Do Mascots Need Modernizing? Ctd - A reader writes: I find the whole controversy about mascots and team names to be a little ridiculous. While I can understand the hurt feelings, as a white ...
39 minutes ago