1. I just wrote an awesome unit for Fences. Tight, six days, great assessments, four different critical approaches, state indicators indicated. I'm excited.
2. I cannot complain about the second job for at least a week after the money I made this weekend. Woah. It's certainly November because we have been busy as hell and we always get busy when the holidays approach. I sold 31 Blood Mary and Mimosas today. Once we hit fifteen, we win a bottle of wine. The three servers on sold 47, which is one away from the all-time record. The tips are really coming right now as well, which is weird because I think I've looked like hell the last two days - puffy, red in the face, unshaven, bandaids all over my thumb. Maybe people feel sorry for me.
3. I think my thumb might be broken. I still can't really bend it and it's swollen as hell.
4. My grades are due first thing in the morning so I'm heading in at 6:30 tomorrow to finish them up.
5. My driver's side mirror broke off my car door and is hanging there by a wire. I thought about trying to glue it back on with auto glue, but I don't think it'll work. Any opinions on that? And, if not, what sort of place should I bring it to to get it fixed? The dealer? Or a body shop that might be cheaper? I have really no idea.
6. The driver's side mirror fell off because I had given it a hairline fracture a few weeks ago. You see, a light in Fell's Point had turned red so I crossed the street about twenty feet from the stoplight. A car sped through the red light, though, and then had to slow down to avoid hitting me. It was an old couple. The old man honked at me and the old woman moved her hands excitedly while mouthing some choice words. I was pissed off because they had run the red light, not me, and it wasn't even a "close call." So I turned around quickly and flipped them off and yelled, "Stop at the damn red light!" When I turned around to do that, my ass hit the side-view mirror, and I heard a little crack. Nothing happened until Thursday, about a month later, but I know that the damage was done during that feverish ass-turn to flip off the old couple in the Geo. But they obviously have had the last laugh.
7. I was all primed to watch this live debate on The West Wing tonight, because I'd heard the show has had a "creative resurgence" this year and whatever, and I used to like the show a lot and tonight's live fictional debate between the two presidential candidates seemed the perfect night to revisit it. I primed myself for 9pm all night, making it my goal to get done with my work by then. I turneed on the TV at 8:53 so I would hear the show start from my computer. Then, I saw Alan Alda's mug on the screen, in the debate with Jimmy Smits. I missed it. When did they move The West Wing to 8pm? That sucks.
8. I really want to see Capote. I think I'm going to organize a dorky English teacher outing on Friday night to see it. In Cold Blood, the best non-fiction book ever, was one of our reading club selections last year. I'm also obsessed with Harper Lee, and she's in the movie.
A Prescription For Passion - Amanda Marcotte reacts to the recent finding that “women are far more likely to lose interest in sex with their partners” than men: What’s really fascinati...
3 minutes ago